How to Protect Your Business From Cyber Attacks
If you own a business, IT security is probably one of your primary concerns. With more and more stories about cyber attacks hitting the news, you’re likely wondering what you can do to protect your company from this type of danger. Here are a few tips on how to secure your business data:
- Install firewalls and antivirus software. Having systems like these in place makes it more difficult for hackers to access your data.
- Keep up with periodic updates. Operating system and software updates often address IT security issues, so be sure to not fall behind on them. You’ll also want to regularly change passwords.
- Create back-ups. Having file and data back-ups available can be incredibly useful in the event of a security breach.
- Monitor hardware. Data breaches often occur when IT equipment is lost or stolen, so you may want to consider installing cameras and alarms to help you keep track of these items.
- Be careful when disposing of equipment. When it comes time to replace your company’s IT equipment, you’ll need to make sure that any sensitive data is deleted from the old systems.
- Operate on a need-to-know basis. Did you know that simple human error is one of the biggest threats to IT security? To minimize the risk of such errors occurring, you should limit how much access your employees have to company data, only granting them access to the systems necessary for their specific job tasks.
- Provide training for employees. This applies to both new and existing employees. By implementing training protocols, you can ensure that your employees are on the same page about IT security issues.
- Develop a plan of action for data breaches. Having a strategy in place will help your team act more effectively and efficiently in the event that a data breach ever occurs. You may even want to consider performing drills to work out any bugs ahead of time.
The Importance of Hiring a Managed IT Services Provider
No matter how many of these steps you take, it’s still a smart idea to entrust your company’s IT needs to a managed IT services provider. A qualified IT consulting firm will be highly experienced with cyber security issues and able to provide the level of service that only a professional can offer. You’ll be able to rest easy knowing that your company’s valuable data is in capable hands. And while it’s true that you’ll have to pay for a consultant’s services, you’ll save on the considerable cost of having to staff an in-house IT department, making outsourcing a cost-efficient option as well.
If your business is located in Southeast Texas, you can rely on CITOC for managed IT services. Since being founded in 1995, we’ve grown to become the area’s premier IT consulting firm, and we’re pleased to offer our clients assistance with cyber security issues. Contact us today to request a free consultation. We look forward to telling you more about how we can help secure your business data.